Corporate Social Responsibility
Frontier Oil is focused on empowering its host communities and especially the youths through its Community Development Programme (“CDP”), in a sustainable and transparent manner. The CPD led to the creation of two Community Development Foundations (“CDF”) fully managed by members of our host communities and funded by Uquo Joint Venture. The CDFs have now been merged to achieve the CDP objectives in an optimal manner.
The CDF has ownership of and manages the implementation of the various development projects which have been identified and prioritized by the host communities.
Our Past Community Related Activities
- The Skills Acquisition Training Programme for Esit Eket and Eket communities has benefited over 880 youths across the two host communities. The goal is to build skills capacity and create employment opportunities within the communities. Trainings programs implemented to date include Aluminium Fabrication, Auto Mechanics, Carpentry/Furniture-Making, Catering & Hotel Management, Computer Maintenance, Desktop Publishing, Electrical Installation, Fashion Designing, GSM Phone Repairs, Hair Dressing, Industrial Safety, Pipeline Welding, and Mechanical Repairs.
- Completed the training and presented “Starter Packs” to 55 youths from the host communities who graduated under the FOL-SAVE Skills Acquisition Programme.
- Constructed and fully equipped two (2) ICT Training Centres with internet capabilities in the two LGAs to facilitate the training of up to 240 youths annually.
Employed over 1100 persons from our host communities (both skilled and unskilled) during the seismic campaign of 2006 – 2007; more than 830 host community youths for the Uquo Central Gas Plant construction project in 2013 – 2014. From 2015 onwards, other drilling & completion operations employed over 380 persons. To date, the Uquo Project has provided employment for more than 2,300 youths across multiple construction operations projects
- Presented educational grants to 100 post-Secondary students drawn from the host communities in 2016 and 2017.
- Presented scholarships to 50 post-Secondary students of the host communities and other communities in Akwa Ibom State for each of the years 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- Established a scholarship scheme to Secondary & Tertiary Institutions for 100 students drawn from Ibeno LGA to make education more accessible to the host community youth as part of the FUN Group.
- Renovated and provided equipment to the Science laboratories of various Secondary schools within Esit Eket LGA to encourage interest in the Sciences amongst students.
- Constructed a 5-classroom building and office at a nursery/primary school in Esit Eket LGA, Akwa Ibom State.
- Constructed a 1000m block wall perimeter fence at Secondary School, Edo in Esit Eket LGA, Akwa Ibom State.
- Rehabilitated 3 classrooms building and 6,000 litres potable water at QIC Primary School, Esit Urua, Eket LGA, Akwa Ibom State.
- Rehabilitated Physics and Computer laboratories at Itam Secondary School, Itam, Itam LGA. Akwa Ibom State.
- Rehabilitated of 6 classrooms building at Model Science College, Uqua Isi Edoho, Esit Eket, LGA, Akwa Ibom State.
- Completed the construction of a 500m earth road with a 2 X 2 meter single box culvert on Ikpa-Ekpene obo road, Esit Eket LGA, Akwa Ibom State to improve physical access to the host community.
- Constructed a 1.5 km road in Uqua Ini Edoro, Esit Eket LGA, Akwa Ibom State.
- Constructed a 1km road in Idung Akpetun, Uquo, Esit Eket LGA, Akwa Ibom State.
- Ran a pilot micro-credit scheme for women in the Eket & Esit Eket LGAs in Akwa Ibom State to empower and encourage women in their business endeavours.
- Established an internet café to improve access to information within our host community.